Learn about Medical Eye Emergencies with Dr. Fernando Trujillo, your San Antonio & Floresville Eye Doctor
Dr. Fernando Trujillo, MD, is an experienced San Antonio Eye Doctor who's helped children and adults with immediate and after-effects of medical eye emergencies. He and his team rely on advanced clinical training, innovative technology, and the latest research to support their services.
Common Medical Eye Emergencies
Common eye emergencies range from mild to severe and can include:
- Black eyes
- Orbital blow out fractures (breaks in the facial bones around the eye)
- Corneal abrasions or ulcers (cuts)
- Foreign body penetration: something getting stuck in the eye (e.g., grain of sand, shard of glass, etc)
- Exposure to hazardous waste, including organic waste (e.g., blood, sputum) and chemicals
- Retinal detachment (the thin vision tissue in the back of the of the eye becomes dislodged)
Symptoms of an Eye Emergency
If you notice any of the following issues in yourself or a loved one, then call 911 or visit your local emergency room or urgent care center as soon as possible:
- Sudden visual changes: loss of vision, double vision, blurry vision
- Sudden burning, itching, stinging, redness, irritation, or pain in the eye
- Asymmetrical pupils and/or eye alignment
- One eye bulging out compared to the other
- Severe light sensitivity
- Bruising around and/or bleeding from the eye
- Sudden and/or unusually severe headaches
- Foreign object stuck in the eye
- Known exposure to hazardous material
- Blow to the face or eye area
What to do If You Experience an Eye Emergency & How Dr. Fernando Trujillo Can Help
Severe eye emergencies require a trip to the emergency department, so call 911 if you or a loved one experiences one. If you notice any of the above symptoms, do not rub or touch your eyes. Likewise, do not try to remove any foreign objects, use sharp instruments in or around your eyes, nor put ointments on your eyes.
It may be indicated to wash out your eye with water, following the specific personal protective protocols as advised by a medical professional or, for instance, by the organization (e.g., hospital or workplace) where the incident occurs.
Dr. Trujillo can provide necessary emergent or follow-up care for a variety of conditions. His services, including medications and eye surgery, can help you optimize your recovery, vision, and eye comfort.
Will You Know Who to Call If You Experience an Eye Emergency? Save the Number to Our San Antonio Ophthalmologist, Dr. Fernando Trujillo
Contact us to request a follow up appointment for an eye emergency or call us at (210) 538-2020 immediately with any questions or concerns about your eye health. If you are experiencing a true emergency and/or if it is after hours, dial 911 or your visit your local urgent care facility.